Date:      Wed, 08 Aug 2001 10:18:57 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libgda finally built!  (but something's wierd...)

Daniel Frazier wrote:

> >> To make a long story short I'm thinking that that file should have been
> >> removed when I upgraded libgda.  But it wasn't.  I don't know where the
> >> problem is that caused it to not be removed but I'm really concerned
> >> now about how much other cruft has been left over by old ports.  I've
> >> been having a lot of port builds die lately where they build just fine
> >> for others, but it's been worse since I've started using portupgrade.
> >> Maybe the problem's there?
> >>

> > forgot to add...  so at this point is it safe to simply remove
> > /usr/local/bin/gda-config and press on?
> >

> well, just in case anyone else encounters this here's what I did:
>
> # pkg_delete -f libgda-0.2.90
> # fetch
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/4.0-stable/packages/databases/libgda-0.2.10_1.tgz
> # pkg_add libgda-0.2.10_1.tgz
> # pkg_delete -f libgda-0.2.10_1
> # cd /usr/ports/databases/libgda; make && make install
> # cd /usr/ports/databases/gnomedb; make && make install
>
> that's it.  basically I'm just installing the old version so that I
> pkg_delete to get rid of everything in /usr/local.  I'm still concerned
> about how this happened and what other cruft I have lying around that's
> conflicting with newer stuff.  I might even so something I haven't done
> since my windows days, format and reinstall.  :-(

Are are seeing this because when updating the port to 0.2.90 I added USE_X_PREFIX. It seems that
you did not deinstall older version prior to installing new one, so you ended with two version
of libgda, one in /usr/local and second in /usr/X11R6. Perhaps you have /usr/local/bin in your
PATH before /usr/X11R6/bin, so 0.2.10 was picked by gnome-db's configure script and naturally it
refused to build.

To prevent such things from happening in the fyuture always deinstall old version of the package
before installing a new one.

-Maxim