Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 2003 00:57:32 +0100
From:      Hubert Tournier <hubert.tournier@online.fr>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        hubert@tournier.org, David Malone <dwmalone@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/46222: CPU speed incorrectly reported

Hello David,

David Malone wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 04:28:52PM +0100, Hubert Tournier wrote:
>>Perhaps the ACPI code doesn't detect that the laptop is running on AC
>>power ?
>
>>In either BIOS settings, after booting sysctl said and now says that the
>>machine is running at full speed :
>>
>>	hw.acpi.cpu.max_speed: 8
>>	hw.acpi.cpu.current_speed: 8
>>	hw.acpi.cpu.performance_speed: 8
>>	hw.acpi.cpu.economy_speed: 4
>>
>>But it the first case, perhaps it was at full half-speed :-)

I might add that when I removed/restored the power cord during work,
in both cases I had a message stating that CPU speed was being halved/restored
(or something like that).

> Odd - I guess it is either a bug in the ACPI code or a bug in the
> ACPI BIOS on your laptop.

I suspect the ACPI BIOS of this laptop because I've had other problems
while exiting of hibernation (whatever the OS).

 > I'd suggest you take it up with the folks
> on the ACPI list - I think acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org will get them.
> I can either close or suspend the PR 'till they figure out what's
> going on. Let me know which you'd prefer.

As the symptoms are back to normal for me I prefer that you close this
PR. I will still get to the ACPI list because I sense that there is
something strange going on here and they might be interested.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your time... and best wishes for 2003 !