Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:13:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP P4 Xeons out there?

Hey folks,

Anyone other there with multiprocessor P4 Xeon systems with Hyperthreading
enabled that are seeing 4 CPUs show up on boot?

If you are, can you mail me the output of 'mptable'?

It appears you need to enumerate CPUs out of ACPI if you want the logical
CPUs to show up. FreeBSD doesn't appear to support this (yet -- correct me
if I've misread the MP init code), but some people are seeing 4 CPUs
anyway.  I'm curious if those systems are modifying the mptable for the
benefit of non-ACPI systems.

Systems that don't modify the mptable (board/chipset):

Intel SE7500WV2 (Intel E7500)
Dell PE2650 (Serverworks GC-HE)

If anyone understands the Proper(tm) way to support hyperthreaded CPUs and
can explain it that would be neat too. Intels docs are a little lean on
the matter.

Thanks!

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org