Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:39:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@gshapiro.net>
To:        Maxime Henrion <mux@qualys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions and suggestions about default sendmail configuration

mux> First, I realized that sendmail is running by default on port 25
mux> (nothing weird here ...) but on port 587 too because of this line in=

mux> the sendmail.cf :

mux> O DaemonPortOptions=3DPort=3D587, Name=3DMSA, M=3DE

mux> It is probably known and wanted because I remember a thread about it=
mux> while ago. However, if someone could explain me the use of this,
mux> that'd be kind ! :-)

=46rom the RELEASE_NOTES:

	sendmail implements RFC 2476 (Message Submission), e.g., it can
		now listen on several different ports.  Use:
		O DaemonPortOptions=3DName=3DMSA, Port=3D587, M=3DE
		to run a Message Submission Agent (MSA); this is turned
		on by default in m4-generated .cf files; it can be turned
		off with FEATURE(`no_default_msa').

mux> Then, the genericstable feature is not enabled by default.

mux> To enable genericstable, these lines must be added to the freebsd.mc=

mux> file :

mux> FEATURE(genericstable, `hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable')dnl
mux> GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/generics-domains')dnl

I more inclined to push for users configuring features they need rather
than pushing them in the default configuration.  Additionally, in practic=
e,
I actually don't see a lot of sites using genericstable.

mux> Finally, the PrivacyOptions set by default allow both the usage of t=
he
mux> EXPN and VRFY command, wich aren't a real security threat but can
mux> anyway allow someone to get some informations since it's an easy way=

mux> to know wether a login exists on a system or not. Thus, it would
mux> perhaps be a good idea to add noexpn and novrfy to the PrivacyOption=
mux> (or even goaway, but it might be a bit hard by default ;).

I do agree with this one however.  I'll add it to my list of things to do=
=2E