Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:51:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Seguin <dseg@texar.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   LKM interceptors

(I apologize if this is a repost, I'm not sure the original went out. Ran
out of swap).

Hi. I'd like to ask if it is possible to write a LKM that would intercept
certain system calls, (do something), then continue the (original) call.
I've looked at the misc LKM and understand moving the sysent, and so on.
Is it possible to reindex the sysent for your LKM (in all the places of
the system calls that you want to intercept), effectively
intercepting a number of system calls (say 3, 4 ,7 etc), then calling the
original system calls from oldent?

The goal of this would be to do something like truss but have it inside
of the kernel instead of outside without modifying the kernel (hence the
LKM).

 I hope I've made this clear enough.

Dan Seguin

Azure Automata, Inc.