Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 1995 13:19:33 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        sledge@hammer.oche.de (Thomas Bueschgens)
Subject:   Re: HP Deskjet 500 - /etc/printcap, tex, etc...

> >Where can I find the information to install a deskjet 500 to my machine?
> >I need a nice printcap entry, perhaps with some nice filters :_) and i
> >wanbt to be able to print dvi files...
>
> /etc/printcap: (/dev/lp is a symlink to /dev/lpt0)
>
> lp|lp_ps|local line printer:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
>         :sh:pw#80:pl#66:mx#0:\
>         :if=/usr/local/lib/printer/dj-if:
>
> /usr/local/lib/printer/dj-if:

Simply use apsfilter 49 gamma ...

apsfilter comes with an INSTALL script, that makes the
neccessary printcap entries for you as well as spool-dir
entries with proper permissions.

After that you have an intelligent printer filter with
automatic file type detection. It can even print compressed
or gzipped files, does file type detection after that ;-)

Then it doesn't need any temporary files even if you use
dvips as TeX print frontend. BTW: my co-author Thomas
Bueschgens is very satisfied with TeX printing. If you have
a proper TeX installation and suitable permission, then
dvips generates automatically new fonts during printtime
before printing the document.

Using a user customizeable apsfilterrc file (a global and a
privat one) allows you to to overwrite certain defaults,
additionally to modify the TEXINPUTS variable, so that you
can customize picture search paths ... I hope you know
and enjoy dvips's feature of including Encapsulated PS
picture files, made with xgrab ? ;-)

Ok, enough ... try and buy ;-) (Aeehh, it's free ;-)

I hope Thomas Bueschgens did an upload of the newest gamma
release on the ftp server .... Hi Tom ?!

Location: see below ...

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de         /\/\___ Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - akl@wup.de -

                  *** apsfilter - irgendwie clever ***
ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de:/pub/Linux/local/packs/APSfilter/aps-49...:-)