Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 12:48:57 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        paulz@trantor.stuyts.nl (Paul van der Zwan), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrecord trouble on currnet

> > $ sudo cdrecord -dev=0,4,0 -data -dummy /scratch/img/psnl
> > Cdrecord release 1.6 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jörg Schilling
> > cdrecord: Function not implemented. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
> > Bus error (core dumped)
> >
> > This is a freshly compiled port on a current cvsupped today.
>
> (I wonder why he is trying to use the round robin scheduler - I
> expect he wants the FIFO one).
>
> Cdrecord has autoconf'd in the P1003.1B scheduler interface.

Autoconf?  cdrecord?  You haven't seen this mess.  8)

> I'm probably going to have to change how I did things, but the
> program may need fixing also.  By default, with nothing defined,
> the new system calls are setup to be LKM'd in for development and
> will fail at run time with ENOSYS or if you check for their presense
> with sysconf().
>
> You can add build time support with the _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
> option in the kernel.
>
> See how cdrecord is deciding to use priority scheduling.  If it
> decides that a program that links OK without checking any compile
> time feature test macros means that priority scheduling is supported,
> then that should be changed.  I've been told some programs are
> doing this (not specifically cdrecord).

It checks _POSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING at build time.

Can you give an example of the correct mechanism for using sysconf() to
determine the availability of the scheduler?  I'll fix it in the
updates I'm working on.

Thanks for the comprehensive explanations.