Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 08:52:52 -0400
From:      "MATTHEW.GRAYBOSCH" <MATTHEW.GRAYBOSCH@cshore.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   First-time PPP setup blues.

I just installed FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE, my first FreeBSD install. I'm trying to setup user PPP for a dial-on-demand configuration, and I seem to have made a complete botch of it.

When controlling PPP manually, I'm able to talk to my modem, which lives on /dev/cuaa4, issue AT commands, and get it to dial my ISP.

After punching in my username and password PPP appears to hang, even though I've told it to set the IP and nameservers automatically.

I've read the PPP sections of "Complete FreeBSD", the Handbook, and the FAQ. I've also read the "Pedantic PPP Primer", but I'm still stumped.

I'm sending this message from my work machine, so I don't have a copy of my /etc/ppp.conf or the PPP output I piped to file. I'll send it tomorrow if anybody thinks it will help. I'd appreciate any help, or a copy of a working dial-on-demand /etc/ppp.conf.