Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 23:42:32 -0700
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SNMP for freebsd?

Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Fri, 30 May 1997, Joe McGuckin wrote:
>

> > Is there a snmp daemon that will monitor such things as interface stats
> > for FreeBSD?
> >
> > joe
> >

>   ucd-snmp in ports.

It's the best option available. Another option would be using ISODE (ISO
Developer's Environment) which also includes support for a vast number
of OSI services. I remember I tried to port this but three things
stopped me:
1) OSI support in the kernel ( a 4.4BSD thing) rotted in FreeBSD long
ago (about 2.1.x). NetBSD may still have it, since an OS based on
OpenBSD offers it as one of it's features.
2) I read some reports that ISODE and the additional OSI stack it
provided worked very slow under Linux.
3) ISODE is now a commercial product (the last free version was 8.0, but
they decided to start counting versions all over again) that means very
little support.

While working on my thesis (Mech. Eng.) I found some interesting
information relating ISODE with manufacturing networks (MAP/TOP), if
someone ever wants to work on this I may help.

	Pedro.