Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 12:55:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: perl on 2.2.5

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Studded wrote:

> >There are a few system scripts that look for perl in /usr/bin, but a
> >symlink to /usr/local/bin/perl has worked flawlessly for me so far (knock
> >on  silicon ;-)
>
> 	Yeah, I've done the same things, without problems.  In fact, last
> night I stumbled on a way to prevent the old one from building during a
> make world, if anyone would care to comment. :)  I went into
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin and edited the Makefile, deleting the perl
> subdirectory.  Has anyone else used this technique?  I could same myself
> some make world time by not building things I'm not going to need.

AFAIK, editing the Makefile is a standard way to handle this sort of
thing.  An alternative is to delete the directory, in this case perl
(in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin) and its contents.

Deleting the directory you don't want to build works for handling
"make worlds" that quit somewhere because there's something temporarily
wrong with the code.  It's useful to have a file that's recorded the
errors so you know where it quit and why.  You can then start over with
"make -DNOCLEAN world" or finish by hand, that is, you go into each
directory below /usr/src and do "make depend", "make", and "make
install".  At least that's what worked for me.

If you delete a directory or delete its name from the Makefile,
whatever was there before (e.g., maybe there's already a copy of
perl in /usr/bin from an earlier install, or a symlink) will
remain there and will also be available to be used if some part of
the build process or whatever needs it.  This could create problems
because of dependencies and different versions, but then again
maybe there won't be any problems.

Annelise