Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 08:59:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is the de driver dead?

> > > Still can't use -AC 10/100 21040 cards with the de driver, and having other
> > > mysterious problems with a 3  21041 card system running 2.2.7-RELEASE.
> > >
> > > Is this known, or cared about?
> >
> > It's known that there are problems; the 'de' driver is third-party
> > software and the problem needs to be addressed with the vendor.
> >
> > Speak to matt@3am-software.com.

   I have heard this, too, but my experience with the de driver has been
one of flawless operation, under any load and every protocol I've tried. I
use Kingston KNE-40BT (using the DEC 21041A/PB) and I have to admit, for
an inexpensive card that's warrantied *forever*, its good hardware.
  After the few network problems I run into (and they are few and far
between), there wasn't anything that could be firmly blamed on the de
driver as the culprit. Is there any documentation on these supposed
problems with the de driver?

--Rick Pelletier
Sys Admin, House Galiagante