Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 12:04:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Stanaford <rsstan@yahoo.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nlist - REHASH

--- Edward Wolpert <wolpert@methodsystems.com> wrote:

> FYI-
>
>   I did a fresh build today (Sunday, July 23) using a similar technique
> as you. (Except I did a 'make world' before rebuilding the kernel)  Top
> works for me.

> > cvsup
> > cd /usr/src
> > make cleandir
> > make buildworld
> > hacked /sys/i386/conf/NEBULA from GENERIC
> > make buildkernel KERNEL=NEBULA
> > make installkernel KERNEL=NEBULA
> > cd /
> > chflags noschg kernel
> > chflags noschg NEBULA
> > mv kernel kernel.orig
> > mv NEBULA kernel
> > chflags schg kernel
> > reboot to single user
> > make installworld
> > mergemaster
> > cd /dev
> > sh MAKEDEV all
> > reboot multuser
> > top: nlist failed

Very well,

Regarding the procedure I used above, this is the same procedure that many of
you screamed about being the now PROPER WAY to build after the Binutil debacle.
 What did I miss that resulted in 'top' being broken?  Will a second CVSup and
buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel/installworld fix this?  I think not
because so far I have not heard what caused this.