Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 2009 22:11:42 -0500
From:      Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
To:        Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        psteele@maxiscale.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is proper process for source installs?

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Olivier Nicole
<Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> and so on. So it's safe to say just merging the trees like this
>> isn't the way to go. What is the proper process to finish a bsd
>> image after installworld and installkernel is done?
>
> Not sure what you are trying to do, but usually you better follow the
> instructions from /usr/src/UPDATING.

+1

> By the way, I beleive a good part of /etc is installed/reinstalled by a
> make installworld and/or mergemaster.

Configuration files are untouched by 'installworld'.  I've found on
systems with major /etc/* changes, the following is the path of least
resistance, quickest, and best at providing a "backup plan" before
running mergemaster:

   # cd /
   # tar cvvf `hostname`.etcbak.tar etc
   # mv etc /somewhere/safe
   # mergemaster -iFUP

You can also set IGNORE_FILES in /etc/mergemaster.rc.  mergemaster(8)
for more information on that.

Regards,

--
Glen Barber