Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:22:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, all@biosys.net
Subject:   Re: cvsup confusion

   I just do this every night.  A 'crontab -e' as root suffices to install
   the entries.  I've never found the need to create a custom cvsup file,
   the one in examples works just fine.  The log level will list edits cvsup
   makes.

42 3 * * *      /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 -h cvsup2.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
42 5 * * *      /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 -h cvsup2.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

   No muss, no fuss.  Works great over a modem once you've synced up.
   Alternatively, if I'm tracking the CVS tree:

42 4 * * *      /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -r 20 -L 2 -h cvsup.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile

    --

    In regards to /etc/periodic... no, it is not a good idea to put a
    default cvsup in there.  A good chunk of installations don't need to

						-Matt