Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:17:35 -0500
From:      carl@slackerbsd.org
To:        Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IBM suing (was: RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for  FreeBSD)

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 11:58:44AM -0800, Hiten Pandya wrote:

> --- Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> wrote:
> > The GPL is not "agreeable." It is anti-business and
> > anti-programmer and should not be tolerated in any
> > way, shape, or form in a BSD source tree.
> >
> > It would be far better to build on softupdates,
> > which is an exceptionally powerful technology that's
> > unique to BSD.
>
> > Even if journaling is desired, a technology based on
> > softupdates would minimize data loss and reduce
> > the degree to which the state of the file system had
> > to be rolled back after a crash In short, perhaps
> the
> next step should be "firmupdates."
>
> I would (think about agreeing) with (you/other) if:
>
> - You, or other large number of developers were to
> help
> me out in squeezing in perf. and journaling
> capabilities into the current "SOFTUPDATES" code, and
> also help me in adding journaling capabilities and
> other major features.

Softupdates does not need journaling, that would be somewhat redundant.
As far as performance goes have you actually used softupdates compared to
async mounted or even sync mounted ffs partitions?

What other major features are you referring to?

> - Help me do better job than (no offence) Kirk
> McKusick
> in optimising the FFS/UFS file system which has a
> (undoubtably) large and mature codebase of over around
> 20 years.

It would probably be better for you to point out specifically what it is you
think needs to be optimized. The less vague you are in your wishes the better.
Kirk has many years of experience under his belt and probably understands the
FS code better than most people interested in this topic. Kirk would be one of
your best allies in a task like this but you'd probably have to prove to him
that you are capable in many aspects (code writing, motivation, etc.) and then
you'd have to hope that he is even interested in such a task. That is up to
you to ask him though.

> I am not just planning to porting JFS because i think
> that the buzzword "Journaling File System" sounds good
> to me, but its also about getting a major change into
> the 5.0 Release of FreeBSD, and also that it is a
> small codebase of nothing more than 2000 lines or so.

You have to start coding now and show what you have started on to show that
you are really going to follow through. I know this because I have promised
people in the past that I would do something and never did it and I understand
why they did not trust me to keep my word afterwards. It happens frequently
with many people so you may run into a similar problem if you don't start
showing some code.

> If people are/were really interested in adding
> journaling capabilties to UFS/FFS, no offense,
> why isn't there a project in the FreeBSD Projects
> list for this or elsewhere on the internet.

Because I can't imagine that many people are actually interested in it. There
are a few people that want JFS but can't do it and expect the developers to
do it for them when the developers have their own projects to work on. I am
not a developer but I understand how it works, generally. I am merely trying
to offer some advice.
--
Carl Schmidt