Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:33:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        mcwong@hotmail.com (M.C Wong)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UltraSPARC and MicroSPARC vs Pentium Pro ?

M.C Wong wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am making recommendation for using FreeBSD or BSDI as a WWW server
> for a hospital WWW server and I have the following on the prefered
> list:

	www server is all integer code, not floating point.
	(bear with  me, the distinction is important)

> Sun Netra i/170L (UltraSPARC 167MHz) as WWW, SMTP, caching proxy server.
> Sun Netra i5 (MicroSPARC 110Mhz) as firewall.
>
> On the other hand, I am keen on recommending FreeBSD or BSDI with
> the following hardware:
>
> Intel Pentium Pro 200 for WWW, SMTP, caching proxy server and
> Intel Pentium 166 for firewall.
>
> However, I need more real-world benchmark for the following CPUs:
>
> UltraSPARC 167MHz vs PPro 200Mhz, and
> MicroSPARC 110Mhz vs Pentium 166Mhz.
>
> Without some hard figures showing comparison, my recommendation will
> not be too convincing. Can anyone help ?

        i dont have a www server benchmark numbers available,
        but i do have results for an excellent cpu/cache/memory
        benchmark called "Hint".

quick dirty answer:
        Integer: the intel boxes kill the snot out of *all* suns
        Float:   the ultras outperform intel boxes.

long answer:
        the sparc architecture is limited in its ability to perform
        integer operations.  my suspicion is that the memory bandwidth
        is not up to the task. (surely, its not the cpu itself, but
        rather feeding data and instructions to the cpu that is the
        limiting factor.)

        some performance ratio: (re 586-90)

        integer:
                cpu             data set size
                                10kB - 1MB

                ross 125:        65% - 90% of a 586-90 (yes less)
                ultra 167:       55% - 80%
                sparc 20:        40% - 60%

                ppro 200:       350% - 400%
                ppro 150:       250% - 300%

        get the Hint benchmark and hammer some systems.
        read the paper to appreciate the work that these guys
        have done for everyone.

        http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/scl/HINT/HINT.html

        note: the interactive graphing tool uses floating point
                data, not integer.  (these guys are doing finite
                element analysis and the like.) so the number that
                you see will be different (as i said above)

jmb

ps.	some data is available on freefall ~jmb/Hint.Results.tar.gz