Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2018 15:40:06 -0200
From:      Eduardo Lemos de Sa <eduardo.lemosdesa@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot halts at trying to mount root

Dear David
On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 3:24 PM David K. Gerry <david.k.gerry@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>         I would have posted this on the forum but the captcha is not
> screen-reader friendly. I couldn't get registered.
>
>         I'm upgrading from 11.0 to 11.1. I did installkernel, installworl=
d,
> mergemaster and rebooted. The kernel loads but when it gets to "trying
> to mount root ufs:/dev/gpt/HoD_Root [rw]" it stops. There is no error
> message.
>
>         I used a rescue thumb drive and fsck the partition and it is
> clean. I
> tried booting with the 11.0 kernel with the same results.
>
>         Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions? I have searched th=
is
> list's archive and the forum but can't find an issue similar enough for
> me to solve the problem.
>
> With thanks,
> David Gerry
> Boston, Massachusetts

May I suggest you to boot with the older kernel (type 5 and the kernel.old
is automatically choose). This will put your system in working state and
then, you can try to found where the problem is.

My bad experience was when I moved from 11.1 to 11.2: nvidia binary driver
is the culprit. I fixed making it using ports.

My best wishes

Eduardo