Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 01:13:57 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        dougb@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: bin/25961: rmuser is not case sensitive

On 14 Apr 2001, at 18:46, dougb@FreeBSD.org wrote:

> Synopsis: rmuser is not case sensitive
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> State-Changed-By: dougb
> State-Changed-When: Sat Apr 14 18:44:45 PDT 2001
> State-Changed-Why:
>
> What benefit is obtained from having two users on the system with the
> same username, differing only by case? Even if it was a benefit of
> some sort, it would likely cause all kinds of other problems.

The point of the PR is not to make it easier to have two users.  The
point of the PR is to remove the unexpected behaviour in the case
where you DO have two users.  I'm not setting administrative policy,
which is beyond the scope of this PR (i.e. tools not policy).  The script
asks you if you want to remove a particular user (i.e. the one you
specified).  You confirm.  Then the script removes both users.  This
violates POLA.

I think the script is case sensitive for the confirmation but case
insensitive for the delete.  For consistency, it should use one or the
other, but not both.  I think case sensitive makes the most sense.  If
you do wind up with two users with the same name, different case, then
at least rmuser can be used to remove the one you don't want.

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger dan@unixathome.org | http://unixathome.org/finger.php