Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:51:21 +0100 (MET)
From:      Udo Wolter <uwp@ukrv.de>
To:        roger@cs.strath.ac.uk (Roger Hardiman)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA-Soundcards will vanish...

> The lack of PCI soundcard support is down to three things.
> a) we need a developer with some spare time
> b) that developer needs a PCI sound card
> c) and they need the data sheets for the chipset.
>
> Often it is hard to get all three requirements met at the same time.

What about the linux world ? If someone of them would write a driver
I'd try to port it (ok, if I have such a card). Or is the linux world
also without PCI-sound support ? (Hey, this is an offer, I'm offering
porting from linux to FreeBSD stuff :-))

> Sometimes companies are reluctant to give out the chipset datasheets.
>
> But there is hope.
> NetBSD does have a driver for a PCI sound card (I forget which now)
> OSS does support some PCI soundcards. (I think the Sound Blaster 128)
>
> FreeBSD is only lacking due to resource problems.

How many people are working on such stuff ?

> I agree on the need for this development.

Thank God, I'm not alone...:-)

> Now Sound Blaster have released the SB Live card, I can see the
> ISA AWE64's becoming harder to source.
> However, there will always be someone making the 'cheap and low quality'
> $20 ISA
> sound cards for a few years.

Are you sure ? We have some discounter here which only sells 1 or 2 ISA-cards
but 5 PCI-cards. I think in half a year they won't have any ISA-cards anymore.

Bye,
	Udo
--
Udo Wolter, email: uwp@i.am, www: http://i.am/uwp