Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 20:23:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mike <sturdee@mikesweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Mike wrote:

> How do I backup everything to a DAT drive once installed?? What will it be
> refered to as (dev)?? It's SCSI.

Try this:

dump 0uabf 10 /dev/nrst0 /
dump 0uabf 10 /dev/nrst0 /var
dump 0uabf 10 /dev/rst0 /usr

This dump sequence runs the backups end-to-end and rewinds the tape at the
end.  You may need to adjust the blocksize (`10') so that your tape
streams.  We run it over a network and 10 keeps the tape happy, but you
may need a larger blocksize for a local tape.

The SCSI tape device is /dev/rst0, but there are some options.  I suggest
reading the man pages for dump(8), st(4), and checking the mail archives
at http://www.freebsd.org/search.html.