Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 02:07:05 -0800
From:      brian@worldcontrol.com
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DVDs [and MPEG decoder hardware]

On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 05:50:47PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > I'd be happy to port/write one for the REALMagic Hollyword Plus MPEG
> > card.  Can you get docs on how it works out of the manufacturer?
>
> I think you'd be better off working with the Creative Labs card since
> they appear to be selling more DVD drive+decoder card combos than
> REALMagic is.  Getting actual information out of CL is, of course, yet
> another exercise in dealing with Taiwan but, if you persevere, who
> knows?

Ah, so the CL card is based on the C-Cube Ziva technology.  Cool.

I'll stop by C-Cube the next time I'm near their building and beat
the docs out of them.

Funny I was going to call them on behalf of a client this week.

On the other hand, there is every possibility that CL implemented a bus
interface that is not the same as the Ziva reference design, so we
would be back to beating the interface out of CL.

On yet another hand, there is probably someone, somewhere churning
out duplicates of the Ziva reference design.

Now certainly Amancio and I have demonstrated much interested in
hardware MPEG decoding and FreeBSD.  But back in the the bad 'ole
days of MPEG 1 not many others seemed interested in FreeBSD and
VideoCD/CDI.

So what is the excitement with DVD?

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>