Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:12:16 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Device Inodes

Woohoo... I created all 8 sets, so now I have 256 pty pairs. Not like I
need all of them, but I know they're there. And I have proof that at
least some of them work... Whereas before I could have no more than 31
xterms open, I have 125 open right now. Life is good. :)

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 12:00:17PM +0000, Ian Dowse wrote:
> In message <20010312232339.A21734@cec.wustl.edu>, Andrew Hesford writes:
> >I want to add extra tty/pty pairs. The manpage says that extra tty/pty
> >pairs can take the form
> >
> >	/dev/tty[p-sP-S][0-9a-v]
> >	/dev/pty[p-sP-S][0-9a-v]
>
> The /dev/MAKEDEV script can make these devices for you. Just type
>
> 	cd /dev
> 	sh MAKEDEV ptyX
>
> where `X' is a number in the range 0-7, corresponding to the set
> of 32 tty/pty nodes you wish to create:
>
> 	0	ttyp0-ttypv, ptyp0-ptypv
> 	1	ttyq0-ttyqv, ptyq0-ptyqv
> 	2	ttyr0-ttyrv, ptyr0-ptyrv
> 	etc
>
> You may also need to add corresponding entries to /etc/ttys, if
> they are not present already.
>
> Ian

Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx