Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 16:14:39 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "D [] me" <brian.hood@blueyonder.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: possible crash bug

"D [] me" wrote:
> Data modified on freelist: word 8 of object 0xc0d81880 size 56 previous type
> file (0xde00c000 != 0xdeadc0de)
> panic: zone: entry not free
> Debugger("panic")
> Stopped at      Debugger+0x34 movb      $0,in_Debugger.426
>
> well I I've no idea why its one this I just found it like this this morning
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.5-RC1 on that machine which I build at installing all
> the sources from the CD I downloaded off the FTP site besides that its ran
> fine since the day I downloaded it which was just after the releases of RC1
> and I've had no NIC's crash out like normal with my box.

Find all 56 byte sized structures in the kernel.

It will be one of these being freed, and then reallocated.

The normal cause of this is a structure that is freed, but
is then continued to be used.

The last one of these I personally found was the credential
structure reference count overflow at 65536.  8-).

Happy Snipe hunting!

-- Terry