Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 1998 09:46:51 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        giffunip@asme.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggested port: Maxwell editor

On Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 03:43:52PM -0700, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> It looks good, it was supposed to go commercial but it never made it
> so the code is GPL'd now:
>
>      http://www.eeyore-mule.demon.co.uk/

Definitely!

I played with this a couple of months ago (under Linux emulation),
thinking it looks like a nice light-weight MS-word and RTF
reader/writer taking less than 2 megs of disk! There were no plans to
release the source code then, but now I see there's even a support
mailing list.

I found that it could not deal with both RTF and Word2 (or Word6) files
properly. I think (memory foggy here) it could read but not write them
on my system. Only its own format was OK for both reading and saving.

If these problems were not due to my own newbie errors, Maxwell might
need a bit of work before becoming a very popular addition to the
ports collection. Just the sort of thing we need to get FreeBSD onto
small workstations and home computers.

Any takers?

--

Regards,