Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:43:29 -0700
From:      Derrick MacPherson <dmacpher@vfs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Question regarding user accounts - moving to a DB, interaction with other systems, etc

I am looking at moving my current user accounts (~2500) from the
traditional /etc/master.passwd (users have a shell that tells them they
are not allowed to access trough the terminal, only through webmail
(squirrelmail and exim as the MTA). I would like to move all but a small
number of administrator accounts into a database. I would like to be
able to

At least store real names, email/login name, and passwords. I am hoping
to maybe also hold quota data, there would be probably only 2 or 3
different sizes of quotas, is this info able to be held in a DB? I
believe I can do the webmail (apache) authentication to the DB, and the
email accounts (MTA). I should then be able as well to setup SMTP Auth
using this as well. One of the big 'I doubt I can do it, and even if I
could, I don't think it's wise' bonus's would be EITHER to use this DB
as authentication for ANOTHER server, that is just used for FTP/HTTP
accounts for users. and the 'yeah right, jeez the weed is good in
Vancouver' job would be: is it possible to have user account (username,
real name and password) info be taken from a W2K server? (active
Directory is LDAP I believe, but I don't work with W2K that much) at
least initially, reason is that as it stands now, the poor schmuck that
has to create the user accounts, has to do them on three different
machines (webmail, FTP, W2K)...

Other than the last couple dreams/nightmares I mentioned at the end
there, is there some suggestions for a way to convert the current user
accounts into a DB? Anything here that reeks of stupidity or is there
some info somewhere that is out there that someone has something like
this done, or similar?

Thanks people, I do realize the last couple points might be stretching
it a bit, but what the hell, if I am going to be pulling rabbits out of
hats, I might as well ask if it can be a Volkswagen Rabbit. :)