Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 01:57:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new tcl/tk versions

 * I have made diffs to the newest versions of tcl and tk (tcl7.5a2 and
 * tk4.1a2) so that they install on my system as tcl/tk, just like the old
 * 7.3/3.6 versions.  I have noticed that tcl seems to be regaining some
 * stability, and it seems like a great deal of tools have been moved to
 * support of the new versions.
 *
 * If anyone wants the diffs, they support static and dynamic libs.
 * Understand, they won't coexist with any other versions, and they'll break
 * stuff written for versions 3.6/7.3, so that's the reason I haven't made
 * ports of them.
 *
 * If at some future time it might be decided that a permanent move to these
 * newer versions is wanted, I'd be happy to turn them into ports, but right
 * now, it'd just serve to confuse folks who didn't understand the confused
 * state of the tcl/tk stuff.  If you want the diffs, they're not too long,
 * and I will mail them back to anyone who sends me a request, but you're
 * strictly on your own if you blow away needed apps (that rely on the
 * older versions) because of it.

Actually, tcl7.4pl2 and tk4.0pl2 have been in the ports tree for some
time.  They are in separate directories (lang/tcl74 and x11/tk4) so
that the originals are still available.  Yes, shared library support
is there too.

How are they compared to tcl7.5a2 and tk4.1a2?  Do the a's mean
"alpha"?  Do you think we can replace tcl74 and tk4 with these?

And I agree about the confused state part, I avoided the shlib
problems by appending the version number to the basename part of the
new libraries, e.g., libtcl74.so.1.0 instead of libtcl.so.7.4.  This
makes at least our binary packages work, but the headers (tcl.h and
such) still overwrite the originals so compilation of ports that use
tcl7.3/tk3.6 will still fail if the new version is installed (last).

Satoshi