Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 00:48:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        roam@ringlet.net
Cc:        dima@sinp.msu.ru, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dynamic libraries

In message: <20020413092834.A352@straylight.oblivion.bg>
            Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> writes:
: On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 10:09:16PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <Pine.BSF.4.43.0204121308470.4449-100000@BigKing.sinp.msu.ru>
: >             Dmitry Mottl <dima@sinp.msu.ru> writes:
: > : How can I link C program with different versions of the same library?
: >
: > You can't.
:
: Okay; what exactly is it that you cannot do - link a program against
: two versions of the same library simultaneously (I thought so), or
: link a program against a *specified* version of a library (what, I think,
: the original poster clarifies he wants to do, for no specific reason)?

You can't, generally, link against two different versions of the same
library.  The reason is that you get mutiply defined symbols because
it is very very very rare that two different versions of the same
library wouldn't have any symbols that overlap.

: If it is the first, well, it stands to reason :)  If it is the first
: thing and the first thing only, then how do you do the second thing?
: (insert flashbacks from "Analyze This" as appropriate)

I don't know.  I don't think that's possible, but I'm less sure short
of giving the entire path name to the .so file or playing symbolic
link games.

Warner