Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 17:11:50 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why installing ports on a computer?

Not all FreeBSD machines have access to the internet. Those that do can
download the latest etc... but those that don't (including me on some
machines) enjoy the ability to get my ports from the cd.

On my machines with internet access I find it convenient to have the ports
local, I have only needed to get later versions from the internet
occasionally and as the ports are very easy to use for a PHD (push here
dummy :-) ) like myself it hasn't presented me with any obstacles.

However you always have the choice. If you don't wish to have the ports
collection on your machine don't install them and only download the
skeletons when you wish to install.

just my opinion anyway
Andrew Perry