Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 10:22:02 -0500
From:      David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Subject:   Re: telnet software

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

On 30-May-2000, Doug Barton wrote:
> David McNett wrote:
> > On 26-May-2000, Chris Fedde wrote:
> > >I've looked at this recently (with a view to supporting ssh-v1) I find=
 that
> > >tterm has superior user interface and emulation to putty.  For shear
> > >accuracy of emulation though, I'd go with kermit.
> >=20
> > As far as putty is concerned, I've never been comfortable running an ssh
> > client by someone who not only refuses to implement rsa authentication,
> > but also seems to lack understanding as to why rsa authentication is a =
good
> > thing to have.
>=20
> 	That is a mischarecterization of the author's position, which can be
> found at the end of
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist.html. If you
> don't want to use putty, don't. But please don't cast aspersions on
> someone just because they don't agree with the "wisdom" of your
> position. Personally I agree that trying to do something like RSA
> identity file authentication from a windows machine is a giant security
> nightmare.=20
>=20
> 	I've used putty for a year and a half now, and I've found it to be
> ideal for the niche that it's designed to occupy. I've corresponded with
> the author (in the course of tracking down a display bug) and found him
> to be both responsive and sharp.=20

Doug:

I'm pleased that you've had a rewarding experience with putty, and I'm
sorry that your familiarity and personal history with its author make
my position distasteful to you.  Although I've never had the benefit of dir=
ect=20
correspondence with Mr Tatham, I have no reason at all to think that's he's=
=20
anything but a great guy.  I'm hardly casting aspersions on Mr Tatham.  Now=
here
have I commented on his character or personality.

I can only base my opinion on his web site, which you've so considerately
pointed to.  I see that it's unchanged since the last time I looked.  I am
confused how my statement is a mischaracterization of his position.
I take specific exception to the following:

   Implausible feature wish list

    These are features I will probably never get round to adding
    myself. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them written, but if it
    happens somebody else will have to do it, because they're big and
    complicated and I wouldn't use them enough myself to justify
    spending all that effort.=20

    o Forms of SSH authentication other than password. I don't
      believe many of these can be made sensibly secure from a
      Windows box, even NT, and the ones that can tend to require
      the client to perform RSA private-key operations, which my
      current RSA code is too slow to do usefully. Plus they
      involve more typing than a password.=20

Personally, I find this to be a gross mischaracterization of the purpose of=
 RSA
authentication.  RSA authentication is desirable for a variety of reasons,
none of which have anything to do with the amount of typing required by the
user.  For someone who has undertaken the development and maintenance of an=
 ssh
client, I find this apparent misunderstanding distressing.  The decision to=
 not
support RSA authentication is fine, but to misrepresent (or, it would appea=
r,
to misunderstand) its use casts significant doubt in my mind.

I support his decision to not support RSA authentication, especially in lig=
ht
of the fact that his code is too slow to be useful, but the fact that he se=
ems
to completely misunderstand why one would want or need RSA authentication=
=20
leaves me questioning his ability to implement any aspect of ssh.

Lastly, your restatement of his position seems to be in conflict with the
wish list you've quoted.  Mr Tatham does not appear to be making the statem=
ent
that supporting RSA authentication is a "security nightmare".  To quote:

  "I don't believe many of these can be made sensibly secure from a Windows
   box, even NT,..."

I assume that here he is referring to rhosts, kerberos, or perhaps even s/k=
ey
authentication.

  "...and the ones that can [be implemented securely on a windows box] tend=
   require the client to perform RSA private-key operations, which my curre=
nt
   RSA code is too slow to do usefully."

I see here that he is not making the claim that it's insecure to implement=
=20
RSA auth from a win32-based client, but rather simply stating that his own
implementation is inadequate to be useful.

In fairness, he also acknowledges that developing a product that uses the
currently patent-protected RSA algorithm is problematic.  This is another
valid reason to not support RSA auth.  It is, however, unrelated to your
depiction of his views.

In summary, I've not cast any aspersions on Mr Tatham.  I've simply express=
ed
that I have difficulty trusting someone who displays an apparent lack of=20
understanding regarding the protocol that their product ostensibly exists to
support.

I'm not claiming to be wise.  I am just questioning the wisdom of hanging t=
he=20
security of your communications on the capabilities of someone who appears =
lack the (I feel) required background and perspective to appropriately deve=
lop
ssh client software.  There are untold millions of folks who are both sharp
and responsive who are, despite that, still unqualified to do secure softwa=
re
design.=20

Thanks for your mail.  I'm sorry that you were offended by my post to the
mailing list.  I hope this helps clarify my position, which was perhaps=20
stated to the list too briefly.

Warmly,

David McNett
nugget@slacker.com