Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:43:29 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, sjr@home.net
Subject:   Dependency-based rc system (Was Re: sysctl on boot.)

On Wed 2000-09-20 (08:54), Marius Bendiksen wrote:
> At peril to my continued existance, I dare rehash the topic of switching
> the current rc script mechanism. Eivind Eklund has written some scripts,
> which implement a proof-of-concept for this.
>
> Basically, IIRC, a dependency graph is constructed, and things are run in
> the proper order as detected by the startup scripts. He also proposed the
> ability to shut down and start services including dependencies using this
> mechanism.

I was about to suggest this.

NetBSD has a nice working example, and I intend to port and reconstruct
it for FreeBSD, and suggest we cross over.  They apparently took a
little hammering on the mailing lists, and I imagine we will too, but it
does seem the obvious way forward, and we can sidestep many of the
issues from what they've learnt and done.

It seems to have the advantages of SysV and the advantages of BSD,
without the disadvantages of SysV and the disadvantages of BSD.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems