Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:10:13 -0400
From:      "James B. Wilkinson" <jimmy@CS.cofc.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   syntax of /boot/kernel.conf

I think I've been able to figure out most of what I see in /boot/kernel.conf.
It's just a mirror of the stuff I did with the interactive configuration
screen that came up shortly after I booted the floppy to get started.

di ep0     # means that I disabled the ep0 interface
en ed0     # I enabled ed0
po ed0 0x300    #ed0 is at port 300
ir ed0 3        #ed0 is at IRQ 3
iom ed0 0xd8000 #address of the boot rom is the ed0 had one
f ed0 0    # now what is this all about?????
^^^^^^^^

Does it mark the (f)inish of the information on the ed0?
If that's the case, what does the 0 following it mean?

I'm interested because I have one machine with two more Etherenet cards:
ed1 and ed2. I just copied what I saw for ed0 and changed the port and IRQ
numbers. When I boot the new kernel with this file edited that way, it says
that it found the other two cards, so everything appears to be well at this
point. But I'm still curious, what's that last line all about? Can anybody
solve this mystery for me?

Oh, yeah, this is release 3.2

Thanks

Jimmy Wilkinson            | Perfesser of Computer Science
jimmy@cs.CofC.edu          | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424

If there is one word to describe me,
that word would have to be "profectionist".