Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 21:35:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Aveek Datta <adatta@ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation over Ethernet via FTP

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Aveek Datta wrote:

>OK. I'm trying to setup FreeBSD. After going through two computers which
>both locked up on boot, I finally found one that would let me boot. I'm
>trying to install over my direct Ethernet connection (plugged into the wall,
>etc). But when I choose the FTP method, it asks me for PLIP/SLIP/PPP, which
>I do not have, and does not allow me to choose the Ethernet connection. what
>am I doing wrong here? The documentation I've read seems to indicate this
>should be possible.

When you start up the computer with the boot floppy make sure you enter
the visual configuration mode. In visual configuartion mode make sure you
have no conflicts and make sure your ethernet adapter is configured
correctly.

If you have an NE2000 clone, then use the ed0 driver for your networking.

I think ethernet installs are the best way! I hope this helps.

Thank you,       | Try some of this. It will show you where you're at.
Jason Wells	 | http://www.freebsd.org/