Date:      09 Apr 2001 19:57:16 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, singh@pdx.edu
Subject:   Re: Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) FBSD 3.2

singh@pdx.edu (Harkirat Singh) writes:

> 	I want to know about implementation and support of ECN in TCP/IP
> stack of FreeBSD, is it a standard? Specifically to FreeBSD 3.2 I looked
> at netinet but could not find any thing related to it. Do I need to get
> some patch for ECN.

No, there is no support for Explicit Congestion Notification in
FreeBSD until the 4.x code branch.  You could try patching it into
your 3.2 sources, but that looks to be a non-trivial effort.

> I looked at RFC 2481 and it says that ECN will be standard soon and some
> of the OS developers have already incorporated this feature. I wonder is
> it part of FreeBSD 3.2.

The RFC is *extremely* careful to point out that it is only an
experimental RFC, that it is *not* a standard, and that even the
implementations it lists are described as experimental.  There does
appear to be movement toward making it a standard in the near future,
but the standard being advanced is somewhat different from RFC 2481,
so it's not clear that even the latest versions of FreeBSD will be
compliant with the standard, if and when Explicit Congestion
Notification becomes a standard.

 - Lowell