Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 00:04:20 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>, stefan.esser@o-tel-o.de
Subject:   Re: NCR/Multia Problems?

On 1999-08-09 13:41 -0700, Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:

> nopilt.feral.com > ncr0:6: ERROR (a0:0) (0-0-0) (8/13) @ (mem
> 4458e000:c0000004).

You have DSTAT=0xa0, meaning DFE + BF. DFE is not an error condition
(DMA fifo empty) but just an indicator of no ongoing DMA. But BF is
Bus Fault, i.e. the DMA engine (or the instruction or indirect address
fetch) aborted a transfer because of a bus error. I have no idea what
can trigger that kind of failure in a multia. There are a number of
conditions mentioned in the NCR data books. I can look them up tomorrow,
if required.

Anyway: This is an indication of a hardware problem. Either the chip-set
doesn't deal correctly with multiple bus masters (and there was another
bus-master active), or there was a problem with memory (invalid address
touched, ...).

The first problem existed with early PC chip-sets, but can be worked
around in some cases (disable PCI buffers, PCI bursts, ...). But I never
heard that the Multia had this fault.

The second scenario may be caused by hardware or software. Either there
is bad memory or access to memory is blocked for extended periods of
time, or the address may have been wrong and the PCI transfer was not
successful for that reason.

> ncr0:6: ERROR (a0:0) (0-0-0) (8/13) @ (scripth 84:88080000).

Same DMA status code (0xa0), but different SCRIPTS address. This points
towards a hardware problem, IMHO.

> ncr0:6: ERROR (a0:0) (0-0-0) (8/13) @ (scripth a0:c0000004).

Again.

I don't have time to investigate that further, right now. Please let
me know, whether this problem was caused by a software upgrade or other
configuration change, or whether you never had the NCR chip working on
that particular box.

Regards, STefan