Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 2010 03:04:02 +0200
From:      "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Bartosz Stec <admin@kkip.pl>
Cc:        zara.kanaeva@ggi.uni-tuebingen.de, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: very stupid mistake: a part of /usr is deleted

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Bartosz Stec <admin@kkip.pl> wrote:
> =A0On 2010-09-15 17:20, Ivan Voras wrote:
>>
>>> uname -a ->
>>> FreeBSD (XXXXXX).uni-tuebingen.de 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0:
>>> Sat Nov 21 15:02:08 UTC 2009
>>> root@mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
>>
>> That is actually an easy situation to recover, you can do it in at least
>> these ways:
>>
>> 1) if you build/upgrade from source, you can either reinstall if you hav=
>> working /usr/obj or try and rebuild them if you have working /usr/src
>> (...)
>
> This is a solution I would recommend (if time isn't the problem), first c=
sup
> fresh 8.X sources, rebuild, upgrade, and as a result you will get more th=
an
> missing files, but 8.1-RELASE + STABLE patches :).

Maybe installing the files from the live-CD in single-user mode is easier
at this point...

... especially if some crucial files (/usr/bin/csup, /usr/bin/cc, /usr/bin/=
gcc,
/usr/bin/install, /usr/bin/tar etc...) are missing (and thus preventing csu=
p,
build, install). THEN, with the old /usr/bin/* files reinstalled from media=
,
source-upgrading with csup / make buildworld etc...  is the way to go.

But ivoras@ is right: restoring /usr/bin is pretty easy nonetheless.

> --
> Bartosz Stec

-cpghost.