Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 19:11:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        marcel@scc.nl (Marcel Moolenaar)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cross compilation goals.

> > Another issue is that the GCC/EGCS code "front ending" is not
> > very well integrated; you end up with huge amounts of installed
> > headers, even if you are cross-compiling the same OS on another
> > platform.
>
> I'm not sure I understand your point. Do you mean that installing the
> headers in the object-tree should be avoided if they are the same as the
> ones installed on the host?

No.  Although that is a good point:  The headers should be included
from their location in the source tree, not from the host, and not
from the object tree.

> Or that different architectures can share the same set of headers?

Different machine architectures running the same OS.

> The first case probably takes as much time to detect as it takes to
> installing the headers. And the space saved is probably not worth all
> the trouble.

It's faster to _not_ detect AND _not_ install the headers.

> The second case is not possible, so I assume you don't actually ment
> that :-)

The second case is perfectly possible, and reasonable in fact.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.