Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:04:01 +1100
From:      Philip Sydney Lavers <psl@ign.com.au>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   i downloaded java now what?

I have down loaded java and installed it in /usr/local/jdk1.1.5 as
recommended
I did this because my Netscape 3.01 will not view a web site,
www.geobits.com that my kids gave me as a birthday present, although any
of my win95 browsers see it ok
I thought the problem might have been a lack of java on my system
Now I have more problems that I am not competent to solve:
1
I had to su to root to get the tar to work. now Icant get into the
/usr/local/jdk1.1.5 as an ordinaryt user

2
even when i su back to root and get ino /usr/local/jdk1.1.5/demo/Clock
say what do I do to run the demonstration?

Is there some sort of exe or bin somewhere that I should invoke first

I can navigate into the demo files with my navigator (funnily as a user,
not root) but I cant get any demos to run - all I get is a java source
code listing

i am trying to eschew Microsoft and encourage others to do the same via
FreeBSD or Linux, but it is an uphill battle all the way. I realise
everything would be easier if i were an unix guru, but i am not and have
better things to do than to try to become one. I would be grateful for
some help.

ps Netscape help does not reply to my problem report

thanking you