Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 12:00:17 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        gjp@erols.net (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        itojun@itojun.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beginning SPARC port

In message <199712140506.AAA17194@mutara.noc.erols.net> Gary Palmer writes:
: What I am trying to say is that while it may not be the Politically
: Correct(TM) solution, it is not totally i386 bound either. Being
: #defines, its a bit more flexible than you were making out.

For a long time Linux has used outb/inb (and maybe still does) for
accessing I/O space.  On the Linux/MIPS ports, these functions are
basically

	#define outb(port,value) *((char *) (base + port)) = value

On the MIPS machines that Linux is being ported to, the I/O space is
mapped at various locations depending on the machine type and
sometimes on the device being mapped (on ISA bus, on EISA bus or on
motherboard).

Warner