Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:21:44 -0700
From:      "E. Jordan Bojar" <bojar@speakeasy.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   USB During 4.1-RELEASE Install

Folks,

I have been trying for the last couple of days to complete an install of
4.1-RELEASE off an iso CD-ROM.  At first, the whole procedure worked fine
with my USB keyboard, allowing me to read the documentation, do a dry run
without actually installing, etc.

Several days later, however, as I tried to do the real install, I could use
the USB keyboard on the initial kernel configuration screens but then lost
the ability to use the keyboard after the actual kernel booted (no matter
which config options were chosen).

During the boot process, I can see:

uhub0: port 1 power on failed, IOERROR
uhub0: port 2 power on failed, IOERROR

By the time I get to the /stand/sysinstall Main Menu, I can't type a thing.
Is this an IRQ issue?  Could anyone guess why this _didn't_ happen before,
but does now?  The USB stuff works fine under Linux, and so my guess is
there isn't an actual hardware issue, but I don't know.  As I use a
USB-based KVM switcher on several machines, I need to get this working
again.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be offered.

--

E. Jordan Bojar