Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 16:58:08 +1000
From:      "Dmitry Krasnov" <dek@dt.amur.ru>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Reboot on accessing to write-protected diskette

Bonjourno!

I mount the diskette by this command:

 # mount -t msdos -o noexec /dev/fd0 /mnt

Then I access the files as usually, but a bit later or at umount'ing - BOOM!
Diskette was accidentally write-protected! The system hangs up or reboot!
Few seconds before it has happened the kernel is complains that the blocks
cannot be written. Afterward computer stop responding.Without panic and
without any chances to stop the fatal activity.

I use FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE, cvsup'ed at 08.04.2000. Two neighbor computers
with similar configuration has the same behaviour.

The diskette has no bad blocks and is only write-protected.

How I can fix this? Any suggestions? I want to install the amd automounter,
but with it anyone can hang or reboot my system!

Ciao!
--
/Dmitry Krasnov, System Engineer, JV DT International
 E-mail: dek@dt.amur.ru, Mobile: +7-(4162)359002

P.S. Sorry for my awful english.

=====
"Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor
security."
    -- Benjamin Franklin