Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 2014 08:57:38 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkgng upgrade -> force upgrade of dependencies

> On Oct 23, 2014, at 12:42 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au> wrote:
>=20
> I've scoured the documentation, but I cannot for the life of me figure how=
 to do this. Let's say I want to upgrade a package "apache22" without upgrad=
ing everything on the system. Now I want to ensure I get enough of the depen=
dencies into the upgrade that apache will actually work. So I try this:
>=20
> # pkg upgrade apache22-worker-mpm
> Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
>    apache22-worker-mpm: 2.2.27_6 -> 2.2.29_2
>=20
> Hmmm, that doesn't seem right.
>=20
> # pkg upgrade | grep openssl
>       openssl: 1.0.1_15 -> 1.0.1_16
>=20
> # pkg info -d apache22-worker-mpm
> apache22-worker-mpm-2.2.27_6:
>    expat-2.1.0_1
>    openssl-1.0.1_15
>    perl5-5.16.3_11
>    pcre-8.34_2
>    apr-1.5.1.1.5.3_4
>    libiconv-1.14_3
>=20
> So, a new version of openssl is needed and is linked to the new binary. Bu=
t it will not be installed when I upgrade apache.
>=20
>=20
> Before I moved to pkgng/poudriere I used to use portmaster. That would mor=
e thoroughly examine the dependencies and make sure everything that was inte=
r-related (both as parent and child dependencies) was upgraded together. But=
 it did not force me to upgrade Java when I just wanted to get the new versi=
on of bash installed.

I'm not certain that it handles dependencies (it ought to), but the document=
ed way to upgrade selectively is via "pkg install pkgname ..."