Date:      Mon, 07 Jan 2002 12:44:17 +0100
From:      Alfatrion <alfatrion@cybertron.tmfweb.nl>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Greetings from a newuser

Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 09:57:04PM -0600, mike e wrote:
>
>>Hello
>>
>>I recently started using FreeBSD after using Linux for a year or so but not
>>being satisfied with the differences in all the diff. distributions.
>>
>>I have Ver. 4.4 that came with FreeBSD Unleashed book I purchased from
>>Sam's Publishing and so far I'm flying through the book and really enjoying
>>

> Mmm. The problem with FreeBSD Unleashed is that there are a lot of
> typo's (some of which reverse the meaning of what is being said!),
> and some misinformation...it also harks forward to Release 5 a lot,
> which as we know is not yet ready for Mr Ordinary member of the Public.
>
> Which is not to say it is a bad book, but it has not been well
> proof-read. Sadly this is a disease on the increase in Technical
> books of all kinds as they get rushed off the press. Even with O'Reilly
> books (the creme de la creme of Computer books in my view) you sometimes
> find pages and pages of errata when you look the book up on their
> web-site.

I have read some of the book and find it easy to read. When you come a
cross a simple type just read over it. And if it make the stuff so
unclear just post a message to this newsgroup.

What if found strange, whas that it did have a page about linux and the
distrubtion, but jet didn't say anyting about NetBSD, OpendBSD and BSDi.

Alex