Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 05:34:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      steen.brandtmar@lindhard.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/18743: Problems with disk(s) on secondary IDE controller

>Number:         18743
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Problems with disk(s) on secondary IDE controller
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
bash$ uname -a
FreeBSD mail.lcs.dk 2.2.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE #0: Tue May 20 10:45:24
GMT 1997     jkh@time.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
bash$

The file '/var/run/dmesg.boot' was helpfull in setting up the third disk on the machine as master of the secondary IDEbus. Now I can see the disks on the controller. The /stand/sysinstall program was no help. It froze the machine. I did the disklabel and newfs by hand, and that worked fine. But I still get some warnings:

wd2: invalid primary partition table: no magic

And, IO-heavy commands like this freezes the machine:

$ nice dump 0auf /disk2/backup/dumps/wd1s1_0.dmp /usr

A master reset is then necessary. Can anyone help me?

Copy of fstab:
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/wd0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/wd0a               /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd1s1e             /usr            ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd0s1e             /var            ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd2c               /disk2          ufs     rw              1       1
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
??