Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 2003 15:28:04 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Ryan Dooley <ryan@third-man.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recommendations on the newfs of a 1.0TB fs...

Ryan Dooley wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I'm looking for recommendations on the newfs options for a 1.0TB file system
> for say /home (it's a fileserver for 52000+ accounts that range from having
> 4k to 40GB in their directories.)
>
> When I initally created the file system, the options I set are: block size of
> 65536 and a fragsize of 8192.
>
> This has worked out for me in the past but now that the fs is more than 50%
> in use, the fsck's (it's a -STABLE system) are taking about an hour to complete.

I'd consider fixing the situation thats causing it to need fscked before doing
anything else!

> In a previous thread somebody recommended that I tweak the inodes when I have
> the time to rebuild the filesystem (I might have that opportunity soon).
>
> Currently, about 20% of the inodes (6141123/25124155 - used/free) are in use.

Sounds like you have enough users to have a pretty good idea of the average
bytes per file.  Use -i to specify that when you newfs.  Don't overdo it!  It's
pretty frustrating to have 400G left on the drive an no inodes left to create
any new files, but if you've got 50% of the space full and only 20% of the inodes,
you can definately adjust this some.

There's also -g and -h options.  I'm not sure what effect these have, however.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies