Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 94 18:52:52 -0500
From:      pate@severian.mitre.org
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ed1: device timeout

I've installed FreeBSD and now want to load the bindist via NFS,
but I'm getting the following error when the ethernet card is
accessed:

ed1: device timeout

I have an NE-2000 ethernet card (I've been using it in this machine
with another O/S and it was working fine).

The kernel messages for ed1 are:
ed1 at 0x300-0x31f irq 5 on isa
ed1: address 00:00:1b:37:63:51, type NE2000 (16bit)

(there are various conflicts later with address 0x300 ... mcd1 +
others, but I don't think that should be an issue here)

I tried getting out of the script and manually setting the interface
with ifconfig. That results in the same error message, though the
output of ifconfig looks correct.

I'd appreciate any help in tracking down the problem.
thanks,

Laura Cunningham
pate@gateway.mitre.org