Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:36:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bind version in 3.3RELEASE

generally, if you're going to run bind, you should update it from the
ports collection (rather than updating the entire OS). the ports version
(i believe) installs to /usr/local/sbin, rather than /usr/sbin.

you'll have to change teh named entry in your /etc/rc.conf to reflect the
use of a different named.

also, if you're using the "installed named" you could simply update the
sources and build it from there.

-- jan

(PS - the current version of "stable" is freebsd 3.4)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Clifton Royston wrote:

>   I noticed 3.3Release, which I installed recently, is running Bind
> 8.2.1 which has known security vulnerabilities including a possible root
> compromise exploit.  <http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/bulletins/k-007.shtml>;
>
>   I did not see this mentioned in the errata page for 3.3 at
> <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.3R/errata.html>;
>
>   The ISC recommends running Bind 8.2.2P5.  Is Bind 8.2.2P5
> incorporated into the latest -stable build, so that I'll get it if I
> start doing CTM or CVS updates?  Or is it preferable to grab the
> sources direct from ISC?
>
>   -- Clifton
>
> --
>  Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
>         "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.
>            But no man is strong enough to have no interest.
>              Therefore the best king would be Pure Chance.
>               It is Pure Chance that rules the Universe;
>           therefore, and only therefore, life is good." - AC

  email: jan[at]caustic.org   web: http://www.caustic.org/~jan
   "knowledge is power. power corrupts. study hard, be evil."