Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 21:57:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Aveek Datta <adatta@ml.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installation over Ethernet via FTP

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Aveek Datta wrote:

>On Mon, 4 May 1998, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>> When you start up the computer with the boot floppy make sure you enter
>> the visual configuration mode. In visual configuartion mode make sure you
>> have no conflicts and make sure your ethernet adapter is configured
>> correctly.

>There in I have a problem. When I do visual configuration down to only stuff
>my computer has (it's a Dell desktop) -- IDE, floppy, integrated 3c509, the
>boot does not complete. It also does not show the debugging output. -- ie
>the output from probing.

>It just freezes up. This happens on all my machines.
>When I skip configuration it works and gets into the boot manager
>and I can see all the probing (most fail, of course).  Any clue what this
>might be?

Did you allow the sc0 driver under input devices? This is the keyboard and
disply driver. It is mandatory. FWIW, sc stands for system console.

Do all of these computers happen to have 48 MB ram? There was a bug for a
while that caused the computer to crash if you had 48 MB ram. If this is
the case, download a 3.0-SNAP boot floppy and use it to boot with, but
change the distribution that you choose to 2.2.6-RELEASE. This will bypass
the 48MB bug and let you install 2.2.6 using the 3.0SNAP floppy.

The 48MB bug affects _only_ the boot floppy. The system will run fine with
48MB ram after installation.

Other than that, I cannot say. Is there any error message at all?

I am redirecting this back into the public so that they may get a look at
it.

Thank you,       | Try some of this. It will show you where you're at.
Jason Wells	 | http://www.freebsd.org/