Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:42:47 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Richard L. Gao" <sw126@columbia.edu>, FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How Can I install fvwn2 ?

On Sun, 29 March 1998 at 19:05:47 -0800, Richard L. Gao wrote:
> Hi:
>
>     I got "The Complete FreeBSD" and 4CD, and I totally followed the steps
> to install and configure the FreeBSD system. Now the system can boot, run
> even "startx". But I can not use and windows manager. In "The Complete
> FreeBSD" page 237, " installing the sample desktop" section, it mentions:
> # /cdrom//book/scripts/install-desktop to install. But I can find this
> directory. Why?

It's not there.

> What is the right steps?

Read the errata.  On page ii of the book (opposite the title page) you
should read:

                             Important notice

  A list of errata and addenda is available for this book on the first
  CD-ROM in the file /book/errata.  The most up-to-date list is on
  ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/cfbsd/errata-2.  Please check these lists
  before reporting problems.

>     The other, how to mount a CD-ROM (Panssonic CD-ROM) and floppy? How to
> umount them? Because I can see any thing in my CD-ROM and Floppy. Can you
> show me the Commands?

It depends on what you want to do with the floppy.  Look on page 209.

With CD-ROMs, it depends on whether they're ATAPI or SCSI.  Look on
page 175.

>     Also I can see any files in my MS-DOS partions. Why and How?

Look on page 213.

You might also be interested to know that there is an index in the
book, starting on page 1689.

Greg