Date:      14 Dec 2001 13:03:31 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM suing (was: RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD)

Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com> writes:

> In Brief. The point is, forgive my bluntness, but
> porting JFS to FreeBSD, might give companies with
> Terabytes of information on these file system to
> switch to FreeBSD for mission-critical purposes,
> even when they know that JFS is under the influence
> of the GPL License.

Good point, but there are few EXTRA such companies that could and would
just because they prefer JFS to Softupdates (or super-softupdates), and
the question remains: is it worth it?

> (no offense), but if these kind of things are to be
> taken religiously (GPL vs. BSD License), than it
> would render this whole thread completely illogical,
> which i have always tried to prevent.

Religious ideas have very practical impacts which you would ignore at
your peril.  (Need I make references?)  Don't fail to consider what a
prior message said:  If you develop a GPL add-on which, because of the
license incompatibility problems, is awkward for people to install (eg,
can't be configured at install-time or requires post-install messing
with partitions), then you are likely to find that the hard work of
yourself and others has only moderate pay-off.  Your talents might be
better directed elsewhere. (Better for others, that is.  You may prefer
to scratch your own itch, and you can ingore complaints about that.)