Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:56:09 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Communications Machine <ITStaff@wmptl.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compact Flash vs ATA Disks

Communications Machine wrote:

> I need a comparison in terms primarily of performance and reliability
> between using compact flash to boot vs a standard ATA disk drive on a
> machine used primarily as a router/firewall.
>
> I would assume since there is no mechanical spinup/spindown issues with
> compact flash, that it would therefore be quicker to startup off of; however
> one must still wait for the PC bios anyways... so will it really make that
> much of a difference? Guess it really comes down to transfer rates: which is
> generally speaking faster (bear in mind only in terms of reading, as
> writting to disk will be extremely infrequent).
>
> In terms of reliability, what is the life expentancy of compact flash vs a
> standard ATA disk drive? Again, I believe the mechanical issues involved
> with a disk drive may be overcome with compact flash disks, but I don't
> honestly know enough about compact flash.

CF cards have a wider operating temperature, don't generate nearly as
much heat as even a 5400 RPM disk, can take much higher impact shocks,
are slient, easier to swap out than a hard disk, are ATAPI compatible,
and are available in sizes up to 1GB.  They're also slow, though
throughput is a minor issue when only used to boot from.  A 256MB CF
card costs about as much as a new 80GB 7200 RPM drive and a 1GB CF card
runs about the same as an IBM 73LZX 73GB SCSI disk.